On 29 October 2020, Arvind Kejriwal CM of Delhi announced the launch of “Green Delhi” mobile app. Mobile Application will be used by citizens to bring into government’s notice the pollution causing activities. Green Delhi application are available only for android devices.
Gopal Rai Environment Minister of Delhi, had a review meeting on 27 October 2020. Delhi cabinet meeting held discussions among the concerned officials from different departments on the grievance redressal process related to the mobile application. The meeting was attended by Delhi Fire Service, Revenue Department, Public Works Department, Nodal officers of Environment Department, Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), New Delhi Municipal Council, Delhi Police (DMCDP) and Nodal officers of Delhi Development Authority (NODDA).
Green Delhi mobile App
The primary aim of the launch of the Green Delhi app is to keep a check on rising air pollution in Capital. It also seeks to bring pollution-causing activities to the Delhi government’s notice. Green Delhi mobile app can be used by people to inform the govt on the complaints related to burning waste, industrial pollution and dust in Delhi.
Features of the App
- Green Delhi app comprises the photo and video complaint.
- Delhi Citizens can click photos or make videos of pollution causing activities and upload them on the application.
- Green Delhi app will then identify the location depending upon the pictures and videos.
- It will automatically transfer the complaint to the concerned department for time-bound redressal.
- Strict timelines has been made by the State govt for each type of complaint received on the application.
- The concerned departments would also be connected with the app thus all the complaints would directly be received by them.
- After the complaint has been resolved by the department, they are required to post a picture of it.
Recent Steps taken by Delhi govt to control pollution
In October, 2020, State govt launched the “Green War Room” initiative. The initiative will act as a centre to receive complaints and track them through the Green Delhi app. Also, the Green War Room will analyse satellite data that are related to farm fires in Punjab & Haryana.
Recently State govt has also launched the “Yuddh Pradushan Ke Viruddh” campaign. It is an intensive anti dust drive. It also focuses on installation of anti-smog guns. Yuddh Pradushan Ke Viruddh campaign also included an action plan for 13 pollution hotspots of Delhi.
State govt also introduced the Tree Transplantation Policy. Under the TTP policy 80% of the trees affected by Infrastructure Projects are to be transplanted.
The Electric Vehicle Policy of the Delhi Government aims to subsidize the purchase of electric vehicles in the NCR. The policy aims to bring 500,000 electric vehicles on road in coming five years.
Delhi Air Quality
Air quality of Delhi has started deteriorating since the start of the month October with the rise of pollutants in the atmosphere. The Air Quality Index data by the Central Pollution Control Board has categorised the air in poor category.
Green Delhi App launched by Delhi Govt Green Delhi App launched by Delhi Govt