Recently Australian Government passed a new “News Media and Digital Platforms Mandatory Bargaining Code” bill for tech giant like Google and Facebook, Now Government of India has notified the new guidelines on social media regulations on 25th February 2021. It is being called as “Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules 2021”.
- The new Rules or guidelines have been notified with the aim of regulating social media and OTT platforms (Over-the-top media service).
- The new rules were put into public by the union IT Ministers Ravi Shankar Prasad and Prakash Javadekar.
- The Ministers also said that social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram etc have empowered the ordinary Indians. They praised these platforms for gaining popularity and huge users.
- They also welcomed the move by social media platforms to do business in India.
Why new rules have been framed?
- The central government has notified the new rules with the aim of empowering the ordinary users regarding the social media.
- Under the new rules, central government wants to set up a mechanism for redressal and timely resolution of their grievance.
- The new rules are progressive, liberal and contemporaneous.
- The new rules seeks to address varied concerns of people.
- It also wants to remove any misapprehension with respect to the restrictions on creativity and freedom of speech & expression.
- These rules were framed depending upon the difference of the viewership in a theatre & television as compared to viewership on Internet.
Facts regarding the new rules
- The new GoI guidelines for social media were framed in accordance with the section 87 (2) of the IT Act of 2000.
- The new guidelines were released after having an elaborate consultation with the public as well as the stakeholders. They were consulted to negate the concerns regarding accountability, transparency, and rights related to digital media.
- Part- II of the guidelines will be administered by the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- Part-III of the new guidelines will be administered by Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. This part is related to the Code of Ethics & procedure. It also safeguards the relation with the digital media.
Govt New Guidelines on Social Media Regulation Govt New Guidelines on Social Media Regulation