Government of India’s Central Minister of Jal Shakti Gajendra Singh Shekhawat has launched the 100 days campaign. The New campaign seeks to provide piped water supply to schools & Anganwadi centres nationwide. This mission was launched on the occasion of 151st birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 2 October.
Points To Note
- Through this campaign, the States and UT will ensure that Gram Sabha are convened at the earliest in order to pass the resolution to provide safe water in schools and Anganwadi centres.
- These facilities will be operated by Gram Panchayats.
- Earlier, Prime Minister Modi released “Margdarshika” which are operational guidelines for Jal Jeevan Mission, for Gram Panchayats and Paani Samitis to implement Jal Jeevan Mission.
Provisions of the Guideline
The margdarshika comprises following guidelines:
- Time bound completion of the GoI’s Jal Jeevan Mission.
- Gram Panchayats have been given a crucial role of planning, designing, operating and executing village infrastructure.
- A Village Action Plan have to be prepared by every village including 3 components:
- Water Source and maintenance
- Water Supply
- Grey Water Management
- Village Action Plan will be in harmony with the District Action Plan and the district action plan will be in harmony with the State Action Plan.
- Every asset created under the Jal Jeevan mission have to be geo-tagged.
- Each functional tap connection have to be linked with Aadhar number of the head of the family.
The Pani Samiti is a statutory committee under the nodal head Gram Panchayat. Pani Samiti committee take cares of the community participation, ownership and contribution with respect to water supply systems.
Jal Jeevan Mission
Jal Jeevan Mission is aimed at providing tap connections to every household by 2024. Mission was launched in the backdrop that 81.67 per cent of households in India do not receive tap water supply. The scheme is being implemented at National, State, District and Gram Panchayat levels.
100 Day Campaign to Provide Piped Water in Schools 100 Day Campaign to Provide Piped Water in Schools