Central Government formally approved Rupees 50 crores to develop an all-weather ROPAX in Odisha. The total cost of the project is estimated to be Rupees 110 crores. The project aims to launch Roll-on or Roll-off Passenger Jetty connecting Kaninali in Bhadrak district and Talachua in Kendrapara district.
ROPAX Jetty Project
It will reduce passenger travel time from 6 hours to 1 hour. The connecting points of the jetty are located in the northern and southern banks of river Dhamra.
The launch of the jetty service will increase business activities and commercial activities and also will uplift the economic status of the region.
About Dhamra River
- It is a joint stream formed by the confluence of Baitarani and Brahmani rovers.
- Dhamra River empties into the Bay of Bengal.
- Dhamra River lies in the Bhadrak district of Odisha.
- Dhamra port is located to the north of its mouth.
- Gahirmatha sanctuary is located near the mouth of Dhamra river.
- Also, the Bhitarkanika wildlife sanctuary lie on the Dhamra estuary.
- The Wheeler island is also located at the mouth of Dhamra. The Wheeler Island is a DRDO launch centre.
The most important nesting site of Olive Ridley sea turtles Gahirmatha Sanctuary. The Gahirmatha beach separates Bhitarkanika Mangroves and the nesting site of the turtles. The Olive Ridley sea turtles have been put under the Vulnerable category in the IUCN Red List of threatened species. Also, they have been put under Schedule I of the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act of 1972.
It is a mangrove wetland in Odisha. It is famous for estuarine crocodiles.
Govt approved ROPAX Jetty Project on River Dhamra Govt approved ROPAX Jetty Project on River Dhamra