On the occasion of “International Women’s Day” 8th March 2021, Google has launched a new web platform ‘Women Will’ in India. The new platform for women will provide its support to 1 million (10 lakh) rural women in India in order for them to become entrepreneurs with the help of accelerator programmes, business tutorials and mentorship.
The Google’s Women Will web portal can be accessed in English and Hindi languages. The platform will offer the guidance to the aspiring women in villages to turn their interest or a hobby like beauty services, tailoring, home tuition, food processing, etc. into business. The web portal will also be providing guidance to manage and promote the business. In the initial phase, Google will work with 2,000 Internet Saathis in order to help women turn entrepreneurs.
About Internet Saathi Programme
This Programme was also launched by Google CEO Sundar Pichai in the year 2015 with the objective of imparting digital literacy training to women across villages in India.
Other initiatives by Google in India
- Committed a grant of US$ 5 lakh to Nasscom Foundation. This grant will reach out to 1 lakh women agri-workers in the states of Haryana, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand. It will help in offering the digital and financial literacy training.
- A global “Google.org Impact Challenge for Women and Girls” was also announced. Under this, Google will offer US$ 25 million in grants to the non-profits and social enterprises in India and other countries which are providing its support to the women and girls so as to reach their full potential.
- Google India has also announced to enable search in English for “women-led” such as “women-led restaurants,” “women-led clothing stores” and other such keywords on Google Search and Maps. The company will provide support to women entrepreneurs. This feature is based on an opt-in feature on Google My Business where women-led businesses can identify on their Business Profiles.
- The company had also announced in February 2021 to invest US$ 15 million in order to provide its support to SMEs amid the coronavirus.
- Apart from this, In 2020 Google had also announced, to invest Rupees 75,000 crore in 5 to 7 years to boost the digitization efforts in India.
Google Launched Women Will Web Platform in India