The Global Firepower Index for 2021 ranks the countries based on their potential military strength. In this Index India was ranked 4th. The Global Firepower Index ranked 138 countries. The countries were evaluated based on prolonged offensive and defensive military campaigns.
- The United States of America topped the index with 904 attack helicopters and 11 aircraft carriers. Also, the country has 68 submarines and 40000 armoured fighting vehicles.
- USA was followed by Russian Federation with 189 fighter aircrafts and 538 attack helicopters. Russia has 13000 tanks and 64 submarines.
- The People’s Republic of China was ranked third with 1200 combat aircrafts and 327 attack helicopters and 79 submarines. Also, China has 35000 armoured vehicles.
- India was ranked 4th in the Global Firepower Index with 542 combat aircraft, 17 submarines, 4730 tanks and 37 attack helicopters.
- Japan was ranked 5th in the Global Firepower Index with 2 helicopter carriers, 27 destroyers.
- South Korea was ranked 6th and North Korea was ranked 28th in the world.
Global Firepower Index of 2021
This Index is calculated using 50 individual factors from geography to logistical capability. It also includes manpower, land forces, airpower, natural resources, naval forces, logistics and financials. Under manpower, defence budget, the factors considered are total population, paramilitary, rocket projectors, reaching military age annually, active reserves and active services. Under equipment, the factors considered are trainer fleet, aircraft fleet strength, helicopter fleet, attack fleets, tank strength, towed artillery, aircraft carriers, naval fleet strength, destroyers, submarines, coastal patrol craft, frigates, mine warfare craft, coastal patrol craft and tanker fleets. The finance factors include external debt, reserves of foreign exchange and gold and purchasing power parity.
What about Pakistan?
The Islamic Republic of Pakistan was ranked the 10th most powerful country in the world. Pakistan has surpassed Israel, Indonesia, Iran and Canada in terms of military power. Currently Pakistan dedicates $7 billion from its annual budget for defence purposes.