On 11 January 2021, One Planet Summit was organised. The summit aims to advance the protection of nature. The United Nations, World Bank and France organized the summit. 4th One Planet Summit
Theme for 2021 One Planet Summit: Let’s act together for nature
One Planet summit
The summit is an international event that focused on biodiversity to mobilize commitments to protect the ecosystems and make links to human health.
Aim of the One Planet summit
The Summit aims to promote worldwide ecological transformation. The One Planet summit will measure environmental and climate protection combined with innovation and economy.
Importance of One Planet Summit
The COVID-19 Pandemic has reminded the importance of nature for our daily lives and economies. It is highly challenging to reverse trend set by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Summit will help to transform the value chains, consumption habits and business models.
With the global economic powers like the US withdrawing from 2015 Paris Agreement, it is important for international organizations act swiftly. The One Planet Summit will help the world in this direction.
First edition One Planet Summit
In 2017, first One Planet Summit was organised (two years since the historic Paris Agreement). It then adopted 12 international commitments. They are as follows:
- To Responding the Extreme Events in Island states
- To Protecting land and water against climate change
- To Mobilizing researchers and young people to work for the climate
- To Public procurement and access for local government to green financing
- Zero emission targets
- Sectoral shifts towards a decarbonized economy
- Zero-pollution transport
- Work towards a carbon price compatible with the Paris Agreement
- Anchoring climate issues at the centre of decisions of financial actors
- International mobilization of development banks
- Commitment by sovereign funds
- Mobilizing institutional investors
4th One Planet Summit