Indian Government is to construct the world largest floating solar energy project in the country. The project is to be constructed at Omkareshwar Dam on Narmada river, Madhya Pradesh. The Solar Energy Project will begin its power generation by the year 2022 to 2023. Floating Solar Energy Project at Omkareshwar dam
Points To Note
- Floating Solar Energy Project generate 600 megawatts energy from solar.
- Government of India allocated Rupees 3000 crores and International Finance Corporation and World bank also provide a loan,
- Power Grid Indian organisation is to provide financial assistance to the project
Key features of the project
- The Floating Solar Energy Project is to have floating solar panels of 600 megawatts of power generation capacity.
- The solar panels are to be installed over the backwaters of the Omkareshwar Dam.
- It is to be completed in two years.
- The electricity is to be generated in about 2,000 hectares of water area by installing solar panels in the dam.
- The solar panels will automatically adjust upward and downward based on the water level of the Dam. The floods and strong waves will not have any effect on the solar panels. The solar panels are to float on the surface of water.
What is the floating solar power plant?
It refers to solar panels installed on structures that float on surface of the water.
Types of floating Solar Power Plant
There are two types of floating Solar Power Plant
- The Floating photovoltaic Solar Power plant that uses photovoltaic panels installed on floating platform
- The Floating concentrated solar power System. It uses mirrors to redirect the solar power to a tower.
Advantages of floating Solar Power Plant
- No land Occupancy
- They help to reduce water evaporation. Therefore, is highly water saving.
- Solar power plants have a natural cool
Floating Solar Energy Project at Omkareshwar dam