Recently, Kerala Chief Minister, Pinarayi Vijayan, has inaugurated the first route and terminal buildings of Kochi Water Metro.
Points To Note
- The Kochi Water Metro connects the islands across the city with the help of state of the art boats.
- The metro route ranges connect Vyttila to Kakkanad.
- The Vyttila is one of the busiest traffic hubs in the state while, Kakkanad is the IT (Information Technology) hub.
- The Commercial operations of the Kochi Water Metro will start in March 2021 after it gets the statutory clearance certificate.
- First phase of the Kochi Water Metro project is 520 kilometer long.
- Apart from the Kochi Water Metro, Chief Minister also opened the Panamkutty Bridge. It is also known as Petta Bridge which was launched for traffic. It will enable a traffic free journey in between the Petta Junction and SN junction. The bridge is 250 metre in length. Out of this, 70 metre is over the Poorna river.
- Chief Minister also launched the Integrated Urban Regeneration and Water Transport System project. The project will renew and rejuvenate the six major canals of 34 kilometer in Kochi.
About IURWT Project
The Integrated Urban Regeneration and Water Transport System project has been proposed for the development of the Edappally Canal (11.23 kilometer), Chilavanoor Canal (9.88 kilometer), Thevara – Perandoor Canal (11.15 kilometer), Market Canal (0.664 kilometer) and Thevara Canal (1.405 kilometer) in Kochi. All these canals are highly silted and polluted because of domestic & commercial waste, construction waste etc. Under this project activities such as, Cleaning of Canals, Bank Protection, Dredging & Cutting, Sanitary Sewer Line & STP, Jetties and Reconstruction of Cross Structures and Foot Over Bridges will be carried away. The total cost of the project is Rupees 1418 crores. It has been launched for the period of ten years. The project related construction will be completed in three years.
First Route of Kochi Water Metro project inaugurated First Route of Kochi Water Metro project inaugurated