Recently Economist Intelligence Unit along with Facebook released the Inclusive Internet Index 2021. According to this index, India is at the 49th spot when it comes to internet inclusion and gender equality in accessing the internet.
Facebook Inclusive Internet Index looked at 120 countries. These countries represented 96 per cent of global population and 98 per cent of global GDP.
Points To Note
- Along with India, Thailand was also spotted at 49th Position.
- As of 2020, there were 687.6 million internet users in India. The number of internet users in India is set to reach 1 billion by 2025.
- Around 77 of the 120 countries showed improvement in internet inclusion.
- People in low-income and lower-middle-income countries relied on online education more than the high-income countries during COVID-19 pandemic.
- The school children in lower-middle income countries and low-income countries lost 16 weeks of schooling by October 2020 due lower internet access as compared to loss of 6 weeks in high-income countries.
- Sweden ranked first in the ranking followed by United States and Spain. In Inclusive Internet Index, 2020, the United States was ranked first followed by Sweden and New Zealand.
The rankings were done based on availability, affordability, relevance and readiness of internet. Based on availability of internet India was ranked at 77th. Based on affordability of internet, India was ranked at 20th. Based on relevance, India was ranked 49th. Based on readiness to access the internet, India was ranked at 29th position.
India was ranked at 52nd on Inclusive Internet Index, 2020.
About Economic Intelligence Unit
Economic Intelligence Unit is the research and analysis division of economist group based in London. It provides advisory services such as 5 year country economic forecasts, monthly country reports and industry reports.
Facebook Inclusive Internet Index Released