American Tech Giant Facebook has signed a new deal to buy renewable energy in India from a local firm called CleanMax Enviro Energy Solutions Pvt Ltd. This is the Facebook’s first renewable project in India.
About the Project
- Renewable Project is located in Karnataka.
- The project capacity of 32 Mega Watt.
- Under the project both Facebook and CleanMax will work together to provide renewable energy into the electrical grid of India.
- Facebook is to use the renewable energy purchased from CleanMax to power its data centre. The Facebook is to start the operations of the data centre in the year 2022.
- Facebook had made similar agreements with energy providers in Singapore such as Terrenus Energy Pte Ltd, Sunseap Group Pte, Sembcorp industries. These projects are capable of producing 160 Mega Watt of solar power.
Data Centres in India
- The revenue of Indian data centres is expected to grow at 20 per cent year on year.
- Coronavirus has increased data consumption in India by 38 per cent as compared to the previous year.
- The India data centre industry accounts to only 1 per cent to 2 per cent of the global share. It is expected to grow to 8.4 per cent in the year 2023.
- The Data Centres are mainly established for collection of data, processing of data, distribution of data and processing of data.
- The data centres are set to account for 14 per cent of carbon emissions by 2040. This is one of the main reasons why Facebook is turning towards green energy options to power its data centres.
Draft Data Centre Policy
Union Ministry of Electronics and IT has released the Draft Data Centre Policy. It aims to simplify the clearances to establish data centres in India.
Facebook First Renewable Project in India