Recently Global energy and industrial majors have joined together to form a new coalition called the India H2 Alliance. This initiative to form the alliance was begun by the Reliance industries and Chart Industries, Inc. (US Based). The India H2 Alliance (IH2A) mainly focuses on commercialising hydrogen technologies. It will work towards boosting the hydrogen economy and supply chain in India.
India H2 Alliance
This will mainly focus on industrial clusters such as refineries, steel, cement, fertiliser, ports and logistics and heavy-duty transport use cases. India H2 Alliance will also create standards for storage and transport of hydrogen in pressurised and liquefied form.
The following are the main objectives of IH2A:
- To build hydrogen economy and supply chain in India
- To build hydrogen-use industrial clusters
- To help develop blue and green hydrogen production and storage
- To increase hydrogen-powered fuel cells-based transport
Major works of India H2 Alliance
The India H2 Alliance will closely work with the GoI on the following 5 areas:
- Create a National India H2 Fund
- Develop National Hydrogen Policy and roadmap 2021-30.
- Create National H2 Task Force and Mission in a PPP model
- Identify National Large H2 Demonstration Stage Projects
- Create a good hydrogen linked capacity. This includes production, distribution, storage, industrial use-cases, standards and transport use-cases.
About Blue Hydrogen
It is produced from the splitting of natural gas into carbon dioxide (CO2) and hydrogen (H). This is achieved by Steam Methane Reforming or Auto thermal Reforming.
About Green Hydrogen
It is made from non-fossil sources.
What is India H2 Alliance IH2A