Recently Government of New Zealand is to decide soon upon declaration of climate emergency. Jacinda Kate Laurell Ardern Prime Minister of New Zealand is to introduce a motion in the Parliament soon. If the motion will be passed, it will be a historic step in bringing climate change to the centre of policy making.
In November 2019, the unicameral parliament of New Zealand passed the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Act. According to the Zero Carbon act, New Zealand commits to zero carbon emissions by 2050.
About Climate Emergency
Greenpeace New Zealand is urging the New Zealand govt to declare climate emergency due to catastrophic loss of life and people facing more extreme weather events in the country due to climate change.
Climate emergency in other countries
Recently the Japanese lawmakers declared a climate emergency. Under the climate emergency they have framed a timetable for net zero emissions.
If the climate emergency is passed in New Zealand parliament it will join the other countries such as France, Britain and Canada that have taken significant course of actions on tackling climate change. The other countries that have passed Climate Emergency are United Kingdom, Portugal, France and Canada.
Efforts of France to tackle climate change
- The Government of France is to implement the following changes in order to fight climate change
- France Government is to ban all heating terraces by 2021
- Two new regional National Parks are to be constructed in Mont Ventoux and Somme Picardy.
- French govt has committed to protect 30 per cent of its land surface from being developed.
Efforts by United Kingdom to handle climate change
United Kingdom government has committed to reduce Greenhouse gas emissions by 50 per cent by 2025 as compared to 1990 levels. UK has committed to reduce the greenhouse gases by 100% by 2050.
How Canada handle climate change
the following are the effects of Canadian government to reduce Greenhouse gas emission in order to handle climate change
- Canadian government has adopted Methane regulations, short-lived climate pollutant regulation, clean electricity and other regulations for Oil and Gas sector.
- Canadian government sanctioned a low carbon economy funds to create jobs, support innovation, deliver clean growth and reduce energy bills.
- Also, the climate action awareness fund has been established to support projects at increasing engagement to reduce Greenhouse gas emissions.
Climate Emergency declared in New Zealand Climate Emergency declared in New Zealand