European Union (EU) has formally released its plan called “2030 Digital Compass Plan”. The Digital Compass plan was put forward after the coronavirus exposed the 27-countries reliance on the key technologies owned by the Chinese and the US companies. The 2030 Digital Compass plan will be presented to the Parliament for the final approval.
The 2030 Digital Compass plan was released because, the EU wants to produce the 5th global output of the cutting-edge semiconductors by the end of this decade. European Union also seeks to make its first quantum computer in 5 years. This move is being taken in an effort to cut down its dependence on the technologies coming from the non-European countries.
2030 Digital Compass plan
- The plan highlights the importance of semiconductors which are used in the connected cars, internet-linked devices, smartphones, high performance computers and artificial intelligence.
- The semiconductors are significant because there exists a global shortage which is shutting down car factories across the world.
- So, with this policy, European Union proposes for the production of cutting-edge and sustainable semiconductors in Europe to at least 20% of the world production in value.
- It also recommends for investing into the quantum technologies.
- The European Union is of the view that, quantum technologies will be a game changer in order to develop the new medicines and to speed up the genome sequencing.
- The European Union has also aimed that, by 2025, Europe will have its first computer with quantum acceleration.
- This is making ways for Europe to boost the quantum capabilities by 2030.
- The 2030 Digital Compass plan also called for 10000 climate-neutral facilities to help Europe in developing its own cloud infrastructure by 2030.
Aim of the 2030 Digital Compass plan
The plan also seeks to double the unicorns, or companies with US$ 1 billion valuation. The plan also aims for covering all the European households with the Gigabit network by 2030. It also seeks to cover all populated areas by 5G.
European Union 2030 Digital Compass plan