Delhi Deputy CM, Manish Sisodia, announced that all departments of Delhi govt will now use only electric vehicles (EV). This transition to the electric vehicles will be done within six months.
- Delhi govt has over 2000 cars in use.
- The minister is of the view that this decision will inspire other cities in the country as well as world which is a key decision to tackle the issues like pollution and climate change.
- This announcement was made after the govt launched ‘Switch Delhi’ campaign.
- The transition from the diesel or petrol vehicle to electric vehicles will be monitored by the Transport Department of Delhi.
- Further, the departments under the government are required to produce monthly action reports on the transition to electric vehicles to the nodal department.
About Switch Delhi Campaign
- This Campaign was launched in order to encourage the private vehicle owners to shift to the electric vehicles and install a charging point in their premises within three years.
- It is an 8-week mass awareness campaign.
- The Switch Delhi Campaign seeks to sensitize each and every Delhiite regarding the benefits of switching to electric vehicles.
- The Campaign also seeks to make the public aware of the incentives and infrastructure which are being developed under Delhi’s electric vehicles policy.
- It was launched with the aim of informing, encouraging, and motivating every person in Delhi to switch from the polluting vehicles to zero-emission electric vehicles.
- First 2 weeks of the campaign will focus to promote two and three-wheeler owners to adopt to electric vehicles.
- While, the 3rd week of the campaign will focus on four-wheeler vehicle owners to shift to electric vehicles.
The state government of Delhi had launched its Electric Vehicle Policy in August by 2020. The Electric Vehicle Policy was launched in order to tackle the problem of air pollution. Under this policy, the govt proposed to waive off the registration fee and road tax. Delhi govt will also be providing an incentive of up to Rupees 1.5 lakh for new electric cars in Delhi. Under it, 12 four-wheeler models are available and eligible to get the purchase and scrapping incentives.
Delhi govt to switch all its hired vehicles to EVs in six months Delhi govt to switch all its hired vehicles to EVs in six months