Union Agriculture Minister, Narendra Singh Tomar, has launched the Crop Insurance Awareness Campaign for Fasal Bima Yojana. It was launched during Crop Insurance Week.
- The National Fasal Bima Yojana was launched with the aim of providing security cover to each farmer.
- Union Minister also announced that, this scheme has achieved milestone of 95000 crore of claims paid to farmers.
- According to Agriculture Minister, state governments and insurance companies played an important role in implementing this Scheme.
- In last 4 years, premium of 17000 crore rupees was deposited by farmers, against which about 95000 crore rupees have been provided as claims.
- On the occasion, he also flagged off IEC vans. These vans would continue to engage farmers on Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana throughout crop insurance week.
The Crop Insurance Awareness Campaign aims to bring stories of beneficiary farmers through videos and photo stories on social media. Stories of those farmers would be shared who have not only benefited from this scheme but helped entire farming community through their thought-leadership.
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
- This Yojana was launched on 18th February 2016 by PM Narendra Modi.
- It is an insurance service for farmers for their yields.
- This scheme was formulated in line with One Nation–One Scheme theme.
- It replaced two schemes namely, National Agricultural Insurance Scheme and Modified National Agricultural Insurance Scheme.
- PMFBY aims for reducing premium burden on farmers and ensuring early settlement of crop assurance claim for full insured sum.
- It also aims to provide an insurance cover against failure of crop.
- This scheme thus helps in stabilising income of farmers.
Which crops are covered?
The Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana covers all Food & Oilseeds crops along with Annual Commercial or Horticultural Crops for which past yield data is available.
Crop Insurance Awareness Campaign launched