14th Comptroller and Auditor General of India G C Murmu has been chosen as the External Auditor of Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).
- Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed as the External Auditor of Organization for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons. He will serve at the OPCW as an External Auditor for 3-years.
- Also, India was elected as the member state of the Executive Council of OPCW in the Asia region for another 2-years.
Girish Chandra Murmu
- GC Murmu was a 1895 batch IAS officer of Gujarat Cadre.
- Murmu was appointed as the CAG General in 2020.
- He had also served as the Lt Governor of Jammu & Kashmir in the year 2019. He was the first Lt Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Murmu also served as the Principal Secretary of Narendra Modi during his reign as the Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- Apart from these services, he has served as the External Auditor of World Food Programme, International Atomic Energy Agency, World Intellectual Property Organisation, United Nations World Tourism Organisation, International Maritime Organisation.
Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- The Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons has 193 member countries.
- The international organisation that works to achieve a chemical weapon free world.
- Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons is located in Hague, the Netherlands and It was established in the year 1997.
- The Chemical Weapons Convention is implemented by OPCW. The convention aims to eliminate and destroy chemical weapons by prohibiting development, acquisition, stockpiling and use of chemical weapons.
- India is a member of Organisation for Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.
GC Murmu chosen as external auditor by OPCW GC Murmu chosen as external auditor by OPCW