On 1st June 2021, BRICS foreign ministers meeting was held virtually.
- During the meet, Indian External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar highlighted significant principles which were guiding BRICS.
- Jaishankar also referred to international law and United Nations Charter which recognises sovereign equality of all states and respects territorial integrity.
- According to External Affairs Minister, desired change can be achieved only by conducting policies in line with these principles.
Who hosted meeting?
This meeting was hosted by India in its capacity as chair of BRICS. It was attended by Foreign Minister of Brazil, Carlos Alberto Franco, Foreign Minister of Russia, Sergey Lavrov; Foreign Minister of China, Wang Yi; Minister of International Relations of South Africa, Grace Naledi Mandisa Pandor.
The foreign ministers, for the 1st time, have agreed on common goal of “reforming the multilateral system”. They also agreed, such reform should cover all key multilateral institutions, including-
- United Nations and its principal organs such as UN general assembly, UN Security Council etc.
- International financial architecture such as International Monetary Fund & World Bank
- Multilateral trading system such as World Trade Organization & UNCTAD and
- Global health governance system along with World Health Organization.
The BRICS ministers agreed to bring in new life on discussions regarding reform of United Nations Security Council.
India put forward four key deliverables including, reform of multilateral system, use of digital and technological solutions to achieve Sustainable Development Goals, counter-terrorism cooperation and enhancing people-to-people cooperation apart from BRICS cooperation on coronavirus.
BRICS Foreign Ministers Meet hold virtual BRICS Foreign Ministers Meet hold virtual