During the 12th BRICS Summit held virtually under Russian chairship on 17 Nov 2020, the countries adopted counter terrorism strategy. The main objective of the strategy is to deal with global terrorism.
The BRICS Counter Terrorism Strategy is based on the following principles
- Respect sovereignty of participating countries
- Commit to international laws
- Recognize coordinating role of the UN
- Consider member countries’ priorities and national interests
- Adopt comprehensive approach to combat terrorism
BRICS Adopted Goals
BRICS adopted goals in the strategy are as follows
- Implement UNSC (United Nations Security Council) resolutions.
- Broaden counter terrorism operations with G20 and FATF (Financial Action Task Force)
- Counter global threats based on United Nations Charter
- Increase information sharing about terrorist organisations as listed by the United Nations Security Council
BRICS Counter Terrorism Working Group
The Group implement the strategy, major sub-working groups of the Counter Terrorism Working group are terrorist financing, capacity-building, countering radicalization, use of internet for terrorist purposes and issues of foreign terrorist fighters.
During 11th BRICS summit held in Brasilia in 2019, BRICS countries adopted the Brasilia Declaration. Brasilia declaration condemned terrorism in all its forms. According to the declaration, the two main pillars of terrorism are ideology and finances. The Brasilia Declaration focuses on the following
- Anti-money laundering and countering financial terrorism
- Reaffirm the importance of establishing legal frameworks
- Brasilia declaration affirms that BRICS countries will not give legitimacy to any countries spreading terrorism. China’s compliance to this part of declaration is important to India because of China’s closeness to Pakistan.
Terrorism in India
Among the BRICS nations, India is the most affected country by terrorism. ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) is the new emerging threat in India as several youngsters are joining ISIS modules.
Terrorism in China
Xinjian (Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region) autonomous region is plagued with terrorism problems.
Terrorism in Russia
Chechnya region is the most affected due to terrorism. BRICS countries adopt Counter Terrorism Strategy BRICS countries adopt Counter Terrorism Strategy