An International Team of Scientists have created first-ever 3D map of boundary between our solar system and interstellar space called Heliosphere. 3D map was created using data from IBEX satellite by NASA.
- The Boundary of heliosphere has been mapped for the first time.
- Boundary will provide for scientists to understand how solar and interstellar winds interact.
- Earlier, this boundary was mentioned in theories of Physics models.
- This is the 1st-time scientists were able to measure it and make its 3-dimensional map.
- It created by sun, is a vast bubble-like region of space surrounding the sun.
- Heliosphere is a cavity formed by Sun in surrounding interstellar medium. Bubble of heliosphere is continuously inflated by solar winds.
- The solar plasma provides a way to interstellar plasma, outside the heliosphere, permeating Milky Way galaxy.
- The Radiation levels inside and outside the heliosphere differs. Galactic cosmic rays are less abundant it.
- Thus, planets inside are partly shielded from their impact.
- It is the area under influence of Sun. Its edge is decided by heliospheric magnetic field and solar wind from Sun.
Who coined Heliosphere?
It was coined by Alexander J. Dessler. Alexander used this word in his scientific literature, called heliophysics, in 1967. Heliophysics includes space weather and space climate.
Boundary Between Solar System & Interstellar Space Mapped Boundary Between Solar System & Interstellar Space Mapped