On 30th June 2021, US President Joe Biden has signed 3 separate bills that dismantle part of Donald Trump era.
- These laws,
- Block payday lenders from avoiding caps on interest rates,
- Restrict climate-warming greenhouse gas emissions from oil & gas drilling and
- End rules on how Equal Employment Opportunity Commission settles claims.
- Each of the rules signifies the return to common sense and a commitment to the common good.
- As per Biden administration, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission claims process had increased the risk of retaliation as it made easier for employers to demand identities of those with information about unlawful discrimination.
- These 3 bills were passed by House and Senate through Congressional Review Act. It allows Congress to overturn certain regulations that were in place for a short time.
Under the former US President Donald Trump administration, Office of Comptroller of Currency had allowed payday lenders to charge interest rates in excess to what was allowed by state. Payday lenders were allowed to partner with nationally chartered bank in order to make high-cost loans and avoid state usury laws. Trump had also loosened laws on methane emissions from leaks and flares in oil & gas wells.
US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
The federal agency, established through Civil Rights Act, 1964. It was established to administer and enforce civil rights laws against workplace discrimination. It investigates discrimination complaints on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information etc. It also mediates and settles discrimination complaints prior to their investigation. It has been empowered to file civil discrimination suits against employers on behalf of alleged victims. It can also adjudicate claims of discrimination against federal agencies.
Biden signs 3 Bills to change Trump-era rules Biden signs 3 Bills to change Trump-era rules