After Myanmar military coup, Australian government has formally suspended its defence cooperation with the country. Australian government has decided to redirect the humanitarian aid which the country was providing to the Myanmar government. This decision was taken on 7th March 2021 by the government following the military takeover of the Myanmar government and detention of the Australian citizen in Myanmar.
- Australian Foreign Minister, Marise Payne, stated that the Australian diplomats only had access to the economic policy adviser Sean Turnell twice after he was detained in February 2021 in Myanmar.
- She is of the view that it is a limited consular support for the diplomat.
- Australian Government announced to suspended its defense training program with Myanmar which was worth 1.5 million Australian dollars over the 5 years.
- This program was restricted to the non-combat areas like English-language training.
- Now the Australian humanitarian aid to Myanmar will be directed away from the Myanmar government and other government-related entities.
- The humanitarian aid will now focus on immediate humanitarian needs of most vulnerable and poor in Myanmar such as Rohingyas and other ethnic minorities.
- Australian Government had also imposed sanctions like an arms embargo and other sanctions which targeted several individuals.
- Those sanctions will also continue to be reviewed
Australian citizen was detained within the weeks of arriving in Yangon which is the biggest city of Myanmar. He travelled from Australia to take up the job as adviser to the government of Aung San Suu Kyi. Myanmar’s military coup took place on 1st February 2021 following which the PM Aung San Suu Kyi and the President Win Myint were arbitrarily detained.
Military Coup in Myanmar
On 1st February 2021, Myanmar’s military took over the government and a state emergency were announced in Myanmar after claiming that, the government was failed in tackling the situation in Myanmar amid the cornoavirus. The military took over the country in accordance with the Article 417 of the Myanmar’s constitution that provides power to the military to take over in times of emergency.
Australia ends Defence Cooperation with Myanmar Australia ends Defence Cooperation with Myanmar