Recently, IRDAI has advised all the Insurance companies to issue digital insurance policies using the Digilocker mobile app.
IRDAI is Insurance sector regulator Insurance Regulatory Authority of India.
Points To Note
- Issuance of the policies through the Digilocker will result in to better customer experience.
- Using Digilocker, claims processing and settlement of the policies will be faster.
- Digilocker will also reduce the disputes and reduction in fraud.
- To promote the of adoption of Digilocker in the insurance sector, IRDAI have advised all the insurers to enable their Information Technology systems so as to interact with Digilocker facility.
- The app will also enable the policyholders to preserve all their policy documents.
- Necessary technical guidance and logistic support to facilitate the adoption of Digilocker app will be provided by the Digilocker team in National e-Governance Division under Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
This is an Government of India initiative under the Digital India program. This programme is run by the Ministry of Electronics & IT. Under this GoI initiative, Indian citizens can get the authentic documents or certificates in digital format. The certificates can be generated from original issuers of these certificates. The initiative was launched with the aim of eliminating or minimising the use of physical documents. It seeks to enhance the effectiveness of service delivery by making it hassle-free and citizens friendly.
The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India is an autonomous and statutory body of the Government of India. IRDAI does the task of regulating and promoting the insurance and reinsurance industries. IRDAI was established by Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act of 1999. The headquarter of IRDAI is located in Hyderabad, Telangana. It is a ten-member body comprising of a chairman, 5 full-time members and 4 part-time members.
All Digital Insurance Policies to be issued via Digilocker All Digital Insurance Policies to be issued via Digilocker