Recently Union ministry of agriculture was allowed to use drones for the purpose of remote sensing data collection under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana.
Points To Note
- The conditional permission was granted to use the Remotely Piloted Aircraft System by the Union Ministry of Civil Aviation and Directorate General of Civil Aviation.
- Remotely Piloted Aircraft System will be used by Agriculture Ministry for remote sensing data collection in the agricultural areas of 100 districts.
- It will be used at the gram panchayat level yield estimation.
- This conditional exemption will be valid for 1 year after the date of issue or until the operationalisation of the Digital Sky Platform.
- The use of the drones will still require to obtain necessary clearances from the local administration.
Uses of the Drones in Agriculture Sector
The Drones collect the raw data and translate it into useful information. Thus, they can be used to monitor following parameters in agriculture:
- Drones can monitor the crop health such as damage made by pests and change in the color of crops because of pest infection.
- Drones can also look after vegetation indices such as anomaly detection, leaf area, yield, treatment efficacy and phenology.
- Drones can monitor the plant height and density.
- Drones can identify water-stressed parts of the field or the orchard that needs watering.
- Drones can also perform soil analysis and nutrient availability for a better plant nutrient management.
About Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle is also called as a drone or a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System. It is an aircraft which runs without any human pilot on board. It is a component of the unmanned aircraft system. The flight of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle is operated either under remote control by human operator or by onboard computers autonomously.
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
By February 2016, PMFBY was launched by Government of India. It is an insurance service for farmers to secure their yields. This scheme was launched under the theme if “One Nation One Scheme”. It replaced the two schemes namely the National Agricultural Insurance Scheme and Modified National Agricultural Insurance Scheme. The Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana was launched with the aim of reducing premium burden on farmers. It also seeks to ensure early settlement of crop assurance claim.
Agriculture Ministry allowed to use Drones to support PMFBY Agriculture Ministry allowed to use Drones to support PMFBY