6th Environment Ministers meeting of BRICS countries meet jointly through video conferencing under the presidency of Russian federation. The meeting was preceded by the BRICS countries Working Group meeting.
POINTS TO NOTE
- Prakash Keshav Javadekar Environment Minister attend the meeting, emphasized India’s concern towards attaining SDG (Sustainable Development Goal).
- Javadekar also showcased India’s great initiative towards tackling air pollution, marine litter and river cleanliness.
- In 2015, Air Quality Index Monitoring System (AQIMS) launched in 10 cities initially has been extended to 122 cities today.
- The Environment Minister also discussed India’s previous year launch of the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP), the goal of which is to reduce particulate pollution by 20-30% relative to 2017 levels by 2024.
- While showcasing India’s effort to tackle various environmental challenges the center Minister also offered that India could provide the platform wherein all the best practices in environmental management in BRICS nations could be displayed.
- Minister Prakash Keshav Javadekar also extended India’s invitation to the BRICS nation for the upcoming environment meeting which is going to be held in India in 2021.
Five major economies: Brazil,Russia, India, China and South Africa this group together represents about 42 per cent of the population, 30 per cent of the territory 18 per cent of the global trade and 23 per cent of the Gross domestic product. established in 2009 their headquarter is in Shanghai, China.
6th BRICS Environment meet held in Russia 6th BRICS Environment meet held in Russia