On 11th February 2021, The 2nd phase of Vigyan Jyoti programme was started nationwide. It was started on the occasion of International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
Points To Note
- This Programme will spread the programme to encourage the girls to take interest in science.
- This Programme would also encourage them to build a career in STEM (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics).
- It would spread to 50 more districts in addition to the 50 more districts nationwide.
- This Programme would improve by learnings of the past one year and will be expanded to more districts in order to empower the women.
- It was started because women are under-represented and is a multi-dimensional problem. This problem is needed to be seen from all the angles.
- In the line, the New Education Policy 2020 and the Science, Technology and Innovation Policy 2020 would also help in removing the constraints.
- Both policies would also help in making best use of the demographic dividend so as to progress long in a short time. This in turn would help in increasing the number of women in science.
About Vigyan Jyoti programme
The Vigyan Jyoti programme is a new initiative by Government of India that seeks to encourage girls to take interest in science and build career in this field. It was launched by the Department of Science & Technology in December by 2019. The programme was launched with the objective of creating a level-playing field for the meritorious girls who wants to pursue STEM. Vigyan Jyoti programme is currently running successfully in 50 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas. For FY 2021-22 it will be expanded to 50 more Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas. It addresses the underrepresentation of women in various areas of STEM. The programme at first cater to the girls at school level of Class IX to Class XII in order to encourage and empower them to pursue STEM (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) courses.
2nd phase of Vigyan Jyoti Programme