27 January observed as a International Holocaust Remembrance Day at the Bengaluru International Centre. A small ceremony was organised and memorial candles were lit by clergy of various religious communities to mark the International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
The UN’s theme for ceremony: “Facing the Aftermath: Recovery and Reconstitution after the Holocaust”.
- It is an international Memorial Day that is observed to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust.
- The Holocaust refer to the genocide of European Jews by Nazi Germany between 1941 and 1945.
- 27th January was chosen to commemorate the liberation of Auschwitz concentration camp by the Red Army in the year 1945.
- It was designated by the UN General Assembly resolution on 1st November 2005 in the wake of 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi concentration camps.
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day marked the unwavering commitment of the international communities to counter the antisemitism, racism, and other forms of intolerance that could result into group-targeted violence.
Between 1941 and 1945, Nazi regime and its collaborators led to the killing of 6 million (60 lakh) Jews and 11 million others.
It was a German State in between 1933 and 1945. It was officially known as the German Reich and also Greater German Reich.
UN General Assembly Resolution
The UNGA resolution is a declaration that is voted on by all member states of the UN in the General Assembly. The UN resolution usually requires a simple majority to pass. The UN General Assembly resolutions are non-binding towards member states. However, the internal resolutions may be binding on the operation of the General Assembly.
United Nations General Assembly
The UNGA is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations. It serves as the main deliberative, policy-making and representative organ of the United Nations. The body is responsible for the United Nations budget. It is also involved in appointing the non-permanent members to the Security Council. United Nations General Assembly is the only UN organ where all member states have equal representation.
27 January International Holocaust Remembrance Day