26 November India observed as a Constitution Day of India. Constitution Day mark the adoption of the Indian Constitution by the Constituent Assembly.
- The day is also called as the National Law Day.
- The Constituent Assembly of India had adopted the Constitution of India on 26 November 1949.
- The day formally came into force on 26 January 1950.
- The first ever Constitution Day was celebrated in the year 2015.
- The Constitution Day of India was started being celebrated as a tribute to Dr B R Ambedkar. Year 2015 marked the 125th birth anniversary of the Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar. On that occasion, foundation stone of the B. R. Ambedkar’s Statue of Equality memorial was laid down in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Dr Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar had played an important role in framing the constitution. He was the Chairman of the Drafting Committee.
The constituent assembly
The Constituent Assembly of India was set up to constitute a Constitution for India. Constituent assembly was set up following the independence of India in 1947. The members of the constituent assembly had served India’s first Parliament. The idea of the setting up of Constituent Assembly was put forward by M. N. Roy (Manabendra Nath Roy) in the year 1934. The constituent assembly write the constitution of India in 2years, 11 months and 17 days.
Constitution of India
It is the supreme law. It lays down the framework that demarcates the fundamental political code, structure, powers, procedures, and duties of government institutions. The constitution of India provides for the fundamental rights, directive principles and several duties to the citizens. The constitution of India is the longest written constitution in the World. It declares India as a sovereign, socialist, secular, democratic and republic nation. It also assures for justice, equality and liberty to the citizens. 26 November Constitution Day of India 26 November Constitution Day of India