26 April is observed as a World Intellectual Property Day every year in the world. The day is celebrated to highlight the importance of Intellectual Property. The World Intellectual Property Day is celebrated by the World International Property and several other international organisations.
Theme for 2021 World Intellectual Property Day: IP and SMEs: Taking your ideas to market
About the Day
The World Intellectual Property Day was established by the World Intellectual Property Organisation in the year 2000. It aims to increase awareness on how copyright, patents, designs and trademarks impact on daily life.
Why the 26th April?
The 26th April was chosen as “Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organisation” entered into force.
Celebrating World Intellectual Property Day was proposed by China.
World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
In 1967, World Intellectual Property Organisation was established and it comes into force in the year 1970. It is one of the 15 specialized agencies of the United Nations. The organisation administers 26 international treaties that ranges between protection of broadcast and establishing international patent classification.
India is a member of WIPO. India is also a member of the following WIPO administered international treaties:
- Marrakesh Treaty to facilitate Access to Published Works by Visually Impaired Persons and Persons with Print Disabilities.
- Nairobi Treaty on the Protection of the Olympic Symbol
- Convention for the Protection of Producers of Phonograms Against Unauthorized Duplication of Their Phonograms
- Washington Treaty on Intellectual Property in respect of Integrated Circuits
- Patent Cooperation Treaty
- Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks- Madrid Protocol
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works
- Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property
- Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization
- Budapest Treaty on the International Recognition of the Deposit of Microorganisms for the Purposes of Patent Procedure
26 April World Intellectual Property Day