The first meeting of BRICS Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues (CGETI) held under the Chair ship of India. The meeting was held from 9 to 11th March 2021.
Theme for the meeting–“BRICS @15: Intra BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation, and Consensus”.
Under India’s Chair ship for 2021, presented a calendar of events for BRICS CGETI 2021. Those events comprise of priority areas for deliverables, schedule and scope of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises roundtable conference workshop on Services Statistics and BRICS Trade Fair. It was followed by several presentations made by the concerned department on proposed deliverables during the India’s Chair ship under BRICS CGETI track.
Proposed Deliverables During the meeting
- The Action plan on the basis of document “Strategy for BRICS Economic Partnership 2025” which was adopted during Russian Presidency in the year 2020.
- BRICS Cooperation on Multilateral Trading system such as cooperation for TRIPS Waiver proposal at WTO.
- The Framework for Consumer Protection in the E-Commerce
- Non-Tariff Measures Resolution Mechanism
- Sanitary and Phytosanitary Working Mechanism
- Co-operation framework for protection of Genetic Resources & Traditional Knowledge
- BRICS Framework on the Co-operation in Professional Services.
BRICS 2021 or 13th BRICS Summit
The 13th edition of BRICS Summit or BRICS 2021 will be held under the chair ship of India under the theme ‘BRICS @ 15: Intra-BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation and Consensus.’ The summit will hold discussions around three pillars including:
- Political and Security – The members will hold discussions over global and regional security for which the priority sectors include- counter terrorism cooperation and reform of multilateral system.
- Economic and Financial – The members will focus on the intra-BRICS cooperation in sectors including agriculture, trade, infrastructure, energy, finance & banking and small and medium enterprises.
- Cultural and People to People – The cultural and people to people exchanges will enhance the bonding among the members.
1st BRICS Meeting of Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues 1st BRICS Meeting of Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues