10th February observed as a “World Pulses Day” every year since 2018. The day is dedicated to the importance of pulses.
Theme for 2021 World Pulses Day: “Nutritious Seeds for a Sustainable Future”
Points To Note
- On this occasion, this big event was held virtually in New York, USA.
- The virtually event was held with main focus on raising the awareness and recognizing the contribution of pulses in maintaining the sustainable food systems and healthy diets.
- The World Pulses Day comes under the second goal of the UN’ Sustainable Development Goal which is “Zero Hunger.”
- It also includes the objectives of the United Nations (UN) Agenda 2030.
- It is observed to urge the people to grow the pulses besides its consumption.
Pulses are highly nutritious and it plays a very important part in making the diet healthy for humans. But there are sections of people who do not have access to pulses and there are some people who do not know the nutritional value and health benefits of the pulses. Thus, the United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organisation established and dedicated this day in 2018 with the aim of increasing the awareness as well as access to pulses.
Celebrated of the day
On the occasion, people are requested to consume and donate pulses. They are also asked to raise awareness around them. At many places, people organise the lunches or dinners with having pulses on the menu. Some people get involved in donating pulses to those who do not have access to pulses. On social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram etc), the events which are organised on the day are shared with hashtags like #worldpulsesday, #LovePulses.
10 February World Pulses Day 10 February World Pulses Day