1 May is observed as a May Day. The day is also called International Workers’ Day or Labour Day. The date, May 1, was chosen to commemorate the Haymarket affair. It occurred in Chicago on 4th May 1886.
First Labour Day in India
The first Labour Day in India was hosted by the Labour Kisan Party in Madras in the year 1923. It was initiated from the Labour Union Movement.
Labour Union Movement
The Labour Union Movement began in response to the attacks of industrial capitalism. In Euorpe, the Labour Union Movement began during the industrial revolution.
How did Labour Movement begin in India?
- In the year 1920, the Indian National Trade Union Congress was established. With the establishment of the Union, the Labour Union Movement got a major fillip.
- The first Industries Act was passed in the year 1881.
- After Industries Act of 1951, Lokhande summoned a summit in Bombay Presidency. The major demands of the summit were to provide weekly holiday, half-an hour of rest every day, accidental compensations to the workers, etc. This is the first time the demands of the labours in British India were agreed by some of the industrialists.
- After the Partition of Bengal in the 1905, strong social reformers emerged in different parts of the country. They were highly agitated when Tilak was arrested in the year 1908. It was during this period that the working class awakened and got organised in India. In the year 1905, the workers of printing press organised themselves into a trade union. In the year 1907, postal workers formed a trade union and in the year 1910 the Labour Welfare Association was established.
Labour Day in USA
- Some countries such as Canada and United States celebrate Labour Day on the first Monday of September.
- 1st May is celebrated as Law Day in the USA.