Point to Note
In Lausanne (City in Switzerland) International Olympic Committee (IOC) has inaugurated its new headquarters. International Olympic Committee new headquarters has been awarded the 2020 European US Green Building Council Leadership Award (USGBC). Olympic House, which also holds the rigorous LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum certification, is one of the most sustainable buildings in the world.
For further to receiving the highest number of points of any Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design v4-certified new construction project to date, the Olympic House is the first international headquarters and the second building overall to obtain the highest (Platinum) level of the Swiss Sustainable Construction Standard (SNBS).
Why this award is given to the International Olympic Committee office?
- This Olympic House Inaugurated on 23 June 2019, the embodies the International Olympic Committee strong commitment to sustainability. It incorporates rigorous criteria in energy and water efficiency while optimising the health and well-being of its users.
- The IOC Office in Lausanne is delivering impressive results in terms of its operations, has cut energy consumption and non-recyclable office waste by half compared to the former International Olympic Committee building.
- The building is powered by renewable energy, part of which is produced on site. 95 per cent of Lausanne office construction waste was recycled, and more than 95 % of the former International Olympic Committee building was recycled or reused.
- Carbon emissions from the building’s construction and operations have been compensated through the International Olympic Committee-Dow carbon partnership.
About USGBC Leadership Award
The Leadership Award was announced by the European US Green Building Council, recognises “those advancing the development of sustainable, healthy and resilient buildings, cities and communities in regions globally”. It has been given to five organisations that are “a model for how Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design can be used to improve communities, support human health and well-being, and contribute to a more sustainable future for all”.
- IOC Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland.
- IOC President: Thomas Bach.
IOC receives European Green Building Award 2020 IOC receives European Green Building Award 2020